Monday, August 6, 2012

Hard Work

After reading many of the assignments that we have had to read the last few months, I have to say that historians have an incredibly hard job. When you read all of the details that are included in many of the books we have been assigned, you realize the difficult job they have in authenticating information, especially if the information is included in a journal or autobiography. The use of primary sources is critical (and much easier) for historians to use to validate facts.  They also must rule out bias as they look at events in our past. I do have a greater admiration for historians and archivists after reading many of our assignments.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Mary, the time spent on research and authenticating information is really overwhelming when you think about it. I know I would never have the patience for such work. I would also find it very difficult to try to write without any bias. No matter how objective one would try to be, it would be very challenging to keep your personal interpretation or opinion from one's writing.

    ReplyDelete