Wednesday, June 13, 2012

June Activity


I found the book The American Revolution, a History by Gordon S. Wood to be an interesting, but less engaging book than Joy Hakim's text. The book by Wood certainly went into much more detail than the Hakim text, but the thing that was missing for me was the actual photo, illustration, or trivia that Hakim used. I compared the section in Wood's text where he discussed the writing of the state constitutions. This section was very engaging and interesting, but I felt much more connected to the Hakim text, which shows actual pictures of the New York State Constitution and the North Carolina Constitution, as well as important details about the information shared. 
I feel that the Wood text is much more appropriate to be used as a background text for teachers to use to build their base knowledge on this period in American history. The Hakim text is a book that I would actually use with my students to show them primary sources to help them to understand the facts that are given. 
An interesting "sidebar" to the Wood text was that while I was reading it, the movie "The Patriot" came on AMC on cable. Of course, I just happened to be reading the Wood text and could add commentary about Cornwallis at the end of the movie to my husband based on what I had read.I guess the point is made that we as teachers need to build our base knowledge about historical events. We can then help our students discern what is fact and what is fiction in the movies and other media that they often rely on to build their knowledge of our nation's past.

3 comments:

  1. Wood's book and Hakim's book were designed for two very different audiences, as you noted. I'm glad you recognize the need to build base knowledge, from which you can draw as needed in your classroom. That was the intent of the federal grant program which is funding this program!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I feel that the Wood text is much more appropriate to be used as a background text for teachers to use to build their base knowledge on this period in American history."

    I totally agree with your statement here. Knowing the more in-depth situation surrounding famous events in history can only help our storytelling in History class, but in my case, 4th graders don't necessarily need to know and remember every detail contained in the Wood text.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a history major, so I found myself connecting with Hakim's writing more than Wood. I may feel differently, maybe even insulted with Hakim, if I were in the history field...who knows. But anyway, I agree with the fact that Wood does go into more detail than does Hakim. But this is what makes the world go 'round!

    ReplyDelete